Jul 1, 2009

Puffed It Out!

What's good about smoking?

Ok, many years ago, I've tried smoking out of curiosity. My dad was a chain-smoker and my brother also smokes. As I've said, I tried it out of curiosity but I had it for 2x or 3x only. I wanted to understand what was on it, what the feeling was and how it tasted... and it was bad!

But I was able to understand the feeling after puffing a cigarette. It did release my stress. It was relaxing and I felt good afterward. So, I guess that's the reason why under-stressed people can't quit smoking.

My curiosity did not last long. I stopped right away, but my brother and my dad did not. Heck, how I hated it when my brother's friends came over to our house because they kept on smoking. Our rooms were separated only by wall but there was a small window where the smoke could pass into my room.

Anyways, later on, my brother gradually stopped smoking and I have my SIL (his then gf) to thanked for. That's the power of love, I guess, hahaha.

But what exactly happened to my Dad and my brother?

My dad passed away due to maxillary cancer. Of course, the main culprit was smoking. His retirement pay was spent most entirely to his medical expenses and other treatment. He was not able to enjoy his life. He died at age 51. Such a waste. But may he rest in peace.

Although my brother gradually stopped smoking, he later suffered mitral valve prolapsed. He quit his job and stayed home to rest. It took him about 2 years to recover. I sometimes thought that his illness was psychological. Another thing I could think of was may be, he suffered withdrawal syndrome from smoking. Whatever it was, glad he's back on track right now and tried to stay fit and healthy.

My other brother tried smoking, too, but only occasionally. I'm also glad that my husband doesn't smoke at all because he can't stand it. He's allergic to some irritating smell, you know.

Well, if you smoke, I won't ask you to stop. It's your business, it's your body but I can only give you some friendly advice. If you want to have a healthy lifestyle, you know what to do. Don't you think it's great Not to have halitosis, too? That way, many would love to kiss you, haha!

You can browse on the net or read on a book to know more about the disadvantages of cigarette smoking. But what I'm talking here is merely my opinion and what I have witnessed and wishing that some of you out there will learn something out from it ;)

1 comments:

Talisa

gosh scary! but very good commentary and discussion on the hazards of smoking.