Mar 10, 2010

Abandoned

I visited my cousin's house last Sunday... I checked on her kids because my cousin was trying to look for a greener pasture in another place. She has 3 kids, all of them boys, aged 8-11 years old. A housemaid was left to watch over them. I pity the boys, my nephews, because I think they felt abandoned. Their mom, together with their stepfather, accepted a new job in another city and left them for work (the offer was irresistible, they say). Their mom just got married last year so, I would say that the boys grew up without a father... Anyway, in life, you can make several choices. My cousin, although torn and sad, needs to earn a living to support her kids. But I hope she did not sacrifice her 3 kids. She could have looked for a job here...
Thru the housemaid, I've learned that the kids cried at night and when they talked to their mom on the phone, they cried buckets of tears. Poor boys...

Lately, I've heard that they did not go to school. They were not motivated and rather stay home to play games on Facebook. I couldn't really blame those kids. I want to blame my cousin but I do understand her reasons for accepting a job away from home, too. Sigh...

2 comments:

grace

I just don't know I cried when I read your post.. I pity those boys. There's not amount of success that can compensate failure in the home. If I was in her shoes... I rather stay with my kids and find a job in the place... even if it's a hand to mouth job. God will surely find a way to meet everything we need. I just can not leave my kids for a housemaid... not even for a lover!
I have a neighbor with the same situation and the kids grow as juvenile... yes! they have the money... and that money turned them to rehab centers. I pray the mother will realize soon! sori for this comment...

Pepper

It's okay, Grace. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. However, I do agree with you, too. I can never do what my cousin did. Because in my case, I've sacrificed my profession just to take care of my child. I'm afraid what my nephews will turned out to be when they're grown ups...

I tried to understand my cousin but I wish she gave her children of more importance. You're right, she can always find a job in our place...